Sunday, June 15, 2014

A ROOM IN THE JUNGLE/UNA HABITACION EN LA JUNGLA

My first night in the city I slept in a loft in Tribeca but the others were not as glamorous. My second night was in a super cheap hostel in East Village, on 12th street between First and A Avenue, where I stayed in a room with two bunk beds and slept on the top bunk of one of them, listening to Frank Sinatra on my walkman and dressed in my jeans because my suitcase was broken and could not open it.

The third night I slept in the same hostel, but this time in a room full of bunk beds and because I forgot to tell them I was staying one more night and there was no other space available, they put me on a thin mattress on the floor. Next morning, I remember opening my eyes and seeing on top of me two pair of bare feet hanging out. Two giants were sleeping on the bunk bed next to me and their feet stuck out and told me "Welcome to New York Paula!!!".

The fourth and fifth night I slept like a queen in the attic of the house of my first friend in the city, in Upstate New York. From there, I slept for a week on the couch of what it became my first room in a New York City apartment. That happened to be next to the hostel. Once I got my room there I slept on the floor until I could find a mattress in Craigslist. How naïve I was that I didn’t realize that the former roommate would take the bed with her. In this first apartment I lived with two fun men till I could not afford it any longer, exactly 4 months, and from there I have lived in 8 apartments more, including one month in New Jersey, but that's another story.

Through those apartments I have the opportunity to explore many neighborhoods, specifically and in this order, East Village, Chinatown, Lower East Side, West Village, Stuyvesant Town in the East Side, Greenwich Village, Tribeca and Battery Park City. Where I lived with all kind of people or animals. Every building, every door, every apartment, every room, every view, every roommate, every neighbor, gave me something. Sometimes they gave me something special, sometimes they gave me nightmares, but what it’s true is that all of them are part of my New York Stories.

Here I tell you a story that happened to me in one of those apartments. I titled it "WHO CRIES AT NGHT? I hope you like it.
Thank you Gary for being the spontaneous camera man in this video. 


Mi primera noche en la ciudad la pasé en un loft de Tribeca pero el resto no tienen tanto glamour. Mi segunda noche la pasé en un hostal en el East Village, en la calle 12 entre la primera avenida y la avenida A, donde me hospedé en un cuarto con dos literas y dormí en la cama de arriba de una de ellas, escuchando a Frank Sinatra en el walkman y vestida con mis vaqueros, ya que mi maleta estaba rota y no podia abrirla.

La tercera noche dormí en el mismo hostal pero esta vez en una habitación llena de literas y como no había avisado que me quedaba otra noche, me pusieron en el suelo y en un colchón que estaba en huelga de hambre, porque era delgadísimo. A la mañana siguiente, abro los ojos y lo primero que veo son dos pares de pinreles de dos gigantes que dormían en la litera de al lado. Me estaban diciendo "Bienvenida a Nueva York Paula".

La cuarta y la quinta noche me quedé en la buhardilla del maravilloso cortijo de mi primer amigo en la ciudad, que está en la parte norte del estado de Nueva York. Y de ahí me quedé en el sofa de lo que se convirtió en mi primer apartamento en Nueva York, bueno mejor dicho mi primera habitación. Cuando ya me pude quedar en la habitación, tuve que dormir en el suelo hasta que me compré un colchón de segunda mano en internet. Que inocente era, que no me había dado cuenta que la inquilina anterior de la habitación, se iba a llevar la cama en la maleta. En este apartamento, que estaba al lado del hostal, viví con dos hombres muy divertidos y a los 4 meses me tuve que mudar a otro lado porque no podia permitirmelo económicamente. 

Desde entonces he vivido en 8 apartamentos mas, incluyendo un mes en New Jersey.
Vivir en tantos apartamentos me ha brindado la oportunidad de explorar a fondo varios barrios de Nueva York, en concreto y en orden, East Village, Chinatown, Lower East Side, West Village, Stuyvesant Town in the East Side, Greenwich Village, Tribeca and Battery Park City. Donde he vivido con todo tipo de gente o animal de compañia. Cada edificio, cada puerta, cada apartamento, cada habitacíon, cada compañero de piso, cada vecino… me han dado algo. Algunos me han dado momentos especiales otros me han dado pesadillas, pero lo que si es cierto es que todos ellos forman parte de mis historias New Yorkinas.

Aqui os cuento una historia que me pasó en uno de estos apartamentos. La he titulado "Quien llora por la noche" Espero os guste.
Gracias Gary por sel el cámara espontáneo de este video.




No comments:

Post a Comment