Wednesday, September 10, 2014

THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOE BUSINESS/ NO HAY NADA COMO EL SHOE BUSINESS

Nowadays I step with my red soles on Fifth Avenue, Sierpes Street or Sunset Boulevard but in the time of my life when I used to work in the job I will reveal with this post I didn’t even know who was Christian Louboutin or about his desired red soles, even though the job I was doing was totally related to the wonderful world of feet… and their attires.

A study by Kansas University discovered that the type of shoes we wear is an image of our personality and the truth is that I can tell you from my experience that not only the type of shoe but also the way we get it, taught me a lot about people, about our virtues and weaknesses.

Talking about weaknesses, I confess you that one of mine is my blind optimism and about virtues, it can be that I talk to the stones, meaning I talk to everyone, but more importantly I like to listen. I like to listen to people stories around the world and because my blog is about New York stories I am going to tell you one that a shoe professional told me once when we used to work together.

While we, my workmate and I, were waiting for feet to come in and get dressed by us at the elegant Fifth Avenue Store and after he confessed me how he came to America crossing through Nogales, Arizona, risking his life in order to win a better one, I asked him “Could you share any New York moment that you will never forget?”

And he told me this New York story: “It was Christmas Eve, it was bloody cold, but it didn’t mind because the Christmas spirit running all around warmed up every corner of the city that never sleeps. In that time I was working at the store in Rockefeller Center so every time I had a second to spare I couldn’t resist myself to look out the window to contemplate the great Rockefeller Christmas Tree.

But that day was different, because that day was the day of the year that my wife and two kids come to Manhattan to pick me up from work to go to see the tree and to walk around midtown all together. Yes that is all we do, look and walk… because that is the only thing we could really afford, look at the tree, take some pictures with the tree behind us and walk and walk and walk more… And for my family that was more than enough… but for me, I always think I wish I could give them a little bit more.  And fortunately that evening I could give them more, and how you might wonder. Because the magic of New York, the one that people talk so much about, touched me that evening and I won’t ever forget it.

It was 6 pm, time to leave work for me that day, my beautiful family waited for me outside the store, dressed with their best outfits, smiling impatiently for me to come out. We greeted each other with excitement and joy, we hold hands and started our Christmas Eve treat. We looked at the tree, took pictures and walked and walked taking in every gram of Christmas Spirit. Suddenly an old man, very well dressed, he looked like someone very very important, approached to me and gave me a red envelope and said  “Enjoy this with your beautiful family, Happy Christmas” and he left before I could thank him.

I opened the mysterious envelope and there they were, four tickets to go to the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Show that very same night. I could not believe it! That was the first time I ever went to the theater in my life. I will never forget it but not because of that but because of the face of happiness my family had during the entire show.

When we arrived to the legendary Radio City, the ushers welcomed us like if we were royalty, they offered us a drink, folded my kid stroller and guided us to our privilege seats, in the middle of the second row. Wow! It was spectacular., magic, it was New York.”

And now after this unforgettable story I will tell you about my short experience in the Shoe Business with this video. Hope you like it. Gracias and Besos!!!



Ahora piso con suela roja sobre la Quinta Avenida, la calle Sierpes o por la Sunset Boulevard pero en el momento de mi vida que hacía el trabajo que os voy a contar no sabía ni quien era Christian Louboutin ni mucho menos de sus deseadas suelas rojas, por mucho que el trabajo que hacía en esa época de mi vida estuviera relacionado con el maravilloso mundo del pie y sus atuendos.

Un estudio llevado a cabo por investigadores de la Universidad de Kansas determinó que el calzado proporciona una imagen clara de la personalidad de los individuos y la verdad que os puedo garantizar que el tipo de zapato mas la manera de adquirirlo me enseñó mucho del ser humano, tanto de sus virtudes, como de sus debilidades.

Hablando de debilidades y virtudes, os confieso una de mis varias debilidades, mi optimismo ciego, y de mis virtudes que hablo hasta con las piedras, pero incluso más importante yo diría que es que me gusta escuchar las historias que por el mundo algunos personajes me regalan sin esperar nada a cambio y como mi blog va sobre historias New Yorkinas os voy a contar una que un professional del calzado me contó durante mi corta experiencia como companera de profesión.

Mientras esperabamos pies que vestir en la tienda de la Quinta Avenida y despues de contarme como llegó a America cruzando por Nogales, Arizona, jugandose la vida para tener una mejor, le pregunté a mi compañero: “Tienes algun momento New Yorkino que nunca olvidaras?”. 

Y me contó esta historia: “Era el día antes de Navidad, por supuesto que hacía frio, es Nueva York en diciembre, imaginate! Pero no importaba porque el espíritu de celebración se respiraba por todos los rincones calentando de una manera mágica el ambiente. En esa época trabajaba en la tienda que está en Rockefeller Center, asi que cuando tenía un segundo libre me asomaba a la puerta para mirar una vez más al gran arbol de Navidad. Pero ese día era diferente, porque ese día, era el día del año en que mi mujer y mis dos niños venían a Manhattan a ver el árbol.

Eso era lo único que nos podíamos permitirnos, mirar al gran arbol de Navidad en familia y pasear y pasear y pasear más… y para mi familia eso era más que suficiente pero para mí, siempre he deseado poder darles algo más. Y aquella tarde pude hacerlo y como? te preguntarás. Pues muy sencilo, porque aquella tarde, la magia de New York de la que tanto habla la gente me tocó a mi y nunca lo olvidaré.

Eran las 6 de la tarde, mi familia me esperaba afuera de la tienda, toda sonriente e impaciente y vestidos todos con sus mejores atavíos,. Nos saludamos con euforia, nos hacemos fotos con el arbol detrás, nos cogemos de la mano y empezamos a pasear inundados del espíritu navideño New Yorkino… De pronto un hombre mayor, con pelo blanco y muy elegantemente vestido, parecía un diplomatico o de familia de alta alcurnia, se me acerca, me da un sobre rojo y me dice “Disfrutalo con tu familia, Feliz Navidad” y se vá tan rápido que no le pude ni dar las gracias.

Abro el sobre y ahi estaban, cuatro entradas para ir al Radio City Music Hall para ver el Show de Navidad esa misma noche. Fue la primera vez que fui a un teatro en mi vida, nunca lo olvidaré, pero no por estar en un teatro si no por la cara de felicidad inmensa con que tanto mi mujer como mis hijos miraban al escenario boquiabiertos y sin casi parpadear.

Cuando llegamos al legendario Radio City nos recibieron como gente importante, nos ofrecieron una bebida, el cochecito de mi hijo lo plegaron y lo guardaron, nos guiaron a nuestro sitios que eran privilegiados, estaban en la segunda fila, en frente del escenario, fue espectacular, fue mágico, fue New York”.

Y ahora aqui va el video donde os cuento uno de mis trabajos en la ciudad desde la quinta Avenida. Espero os guste. Gracias y besos.



No comments:

Post a Comment